Professor Carolin Crawford delivering a lecture in 2017
The St Peter's School Public Lecture programme is a series of lectures, talks and presentations by a range of expert speakers from many disciplines.
The School organises several of these per term. They are open to the public and completely free to attend. Click below for more information on our upcoming public lectures.
- What are the boffins doing about infectious diseases?
- Growing and Regenerating Human Tissue: A New Frontier in Medicine
- Universal: A Guide to the Cosmos
- Steve Biddulph - Raising Boys
- Steve Biddulph - Raising Girls
St Peter’s School will also be hosting eight events as part of York Literature Festival 2017. The festival takes place from 16-30 March and will include readings, interviews and literary tours.
Click here to see a list of externally organised events at St Peter's.
Tickets for our Public Lectures are usually FREE and are available from our Eventbrite page.
Please let us know when booking if you need a disabled parking space, are hard of hearing or need other assistance at the event. If you have any enquiries or access requirements you can email email@example.com or telephone 01904 527300.
Free refreshments are served after most events. If the speaker is an author, copies of his/her recent books will be on sale with a chance to have them signed.
Recent speakers have come from the fields of physics, philosophy, business and politics. They include:
- Professor Carolin Crawford, University of Cambridge
- Chris Mullin, former MP, political diarist and author
- Professor Martin Elliott, University College London
- Peter Jones, classicist
- Professor Mark McCaughrean, European Space Agency
- Professor Matthew Cobb, University of Manchester
- Professor Jo Dunkley, Oxford University
- Carol Ann Duffy, Poet Laureate
- Sir Vince Cable, former Business Secretary
- John O'Farrell, comedian and writer
- Professor Steve Jones, UCL
- Tanya Landman, author
- Val McDermid, author
- Oliver Headlam-Morley, OP DUEM
- Professor Danielle George, University of Manchester
- Professor René Oudmaijer, University of Leeds
- Professor Angela Wright, University of Sheffield
- Professor Tony Purnell, GB cycling team
- Sir Anthony Seldon, writer, Head Master
- Professor David Smith, University of York
- Professor Howard Wilson, University of York
- Iby Knill, writer, Holocaust survivor
- Dr Lewis Dartnell, University of Leicester
- Professor Jeff Forshaw, University of Manchester
- John Crace, Guardian sketch writer
- Tessa Dunlop, Broadcaster, historian
- Helen Lederer, Comedian, author
- Professor Lord Peter Hennessy, University of London
- Lindsey Davis, Author
- Shash Trevett, Poet
- Dame Jenni Murray, Woman's Hour
- Matthew d'Ancona, Guardian columnist
- Michael Foale, NASA Astronaut
- Professor Keith Ward, University of London
- Professor Ian Morison, Gresham College
- Professor Paul Hardaker, IOP
- Dr Lucie Green, BBC Sky at Night
- Professor Tom McLeish, University of Durham
- Dr Dewi Lewis, UCL
- Oliver Green, London Transport Museum
- Professor David Reynolds, University of Cambridge
- Professor Monica Grady, Open University
- Ned Boulting, ITV Cycling, Tour de France
- Andy McNab, Author
- Jocelyn Bell Burnell, University of Oxford
- Professor Lord Robert Winston, Scientist, author
- John Humphrys, BBC journalist
- Sir Andrew Motion, former poet laureate
- Alan Johnson MP, Former Home Secretary
- Nigel Macknight, World Water Speed hopeful
- Mark Thompson, BBC Stargazing Live
- Professor John Butterworth, UCL