St Peter's 13-18
This delicious light carrot cake with a hint of spice is the perfect spring recipe. Packed with carrots, juicy sultanas with a cream cheese frosting it is a cake that everyone will enjoy... one piece will not be enough. (Makes 8-10 portions)
- 150g sultanas
- 200g carrots, finely grated
- 1 Yorkshire Tea teabag (or another brand)
- 1 medium orange, zest only
- 200g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 3 medium eggs
- 175ml sunflower oil
- 175g soft brown sugar
Cream cheese frosting:
- 100g icing sugar
- 100g butter, softened
- 200g full fat cream cheese
- Measuring scales
- 3 medium size bowls
- Measuring jug
- Wooden spoon
- 20cm baking tin
- Parchment paper
Preheat oven to 175 degrees
- Place the sultanas and carrots into a bowl. Add the grated orange zest. Add 100ml of boiling water to the teabag and pour over the sultanas and carrots keeping the teabag in the bowl to infuse. Put to one side until needed.
- In a separate large bowl add all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and salt) and mix thoroughly.
- In a third bowl add all the wet ingredients (eggs, oil and sugar) and whisk thoroughly until all combined.
- Add a large spoonful of the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir through. Gradually add all the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fully combine until you have a thick batter.
- Drain the tea from the sultanas and carrots, remembering to remove the teabag….! Fold the sultanas and carrots through the batter mix.
- Transfer the batter mix to a baking tin lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the cake is well risen and feels springy to touch. A good way to check if the cake is cooked is by inserting a metal skewer into the center, (if the skewer comes out clean it is done). Place the baked cake onto a wire rack. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing the cake from the tin. Leave to cool completely on the wire rack….
Method cream cheese frosting:
- In a mixing bowl add the icing sugar, softened butter and beat with a wooden spoon or use an electric beater if you have one. Add the cream cheese and beat until smooth. Place the cream cheese frosting into the fridge to firm up for approx. 30mins.
- Once the cake is completely cooled top with the luxurious cream cheese frosting.
- Pop the kettle on and make a pot of tea... cut into squares... put your feet up and enjoy the treat!