St Peter's 13-18
The children of key workers enjoyed this tasty rocky road at school as a treat over the Easter holidays. This simple recipe should make 12 chunky portions of rocky road.
- 200g digestive biscuits (we used chocolate digestives)
- 135g butter/margarine
- 200g dark chocolate (we used 70% cocoa)
- 2-3 tbsp golden syrup (or black treacle)
- 100g mini marshmallows or chopped regular marshmallows
- Icing sugar to dust
- We also added 50g dried cranberries & 50g glace cherries (you could add raisins, popcorn and honeycomb)
- Place 200g digestive biscuits in a freezer bag and bash with a rolling pin or just the side of your fist until they're broken into a mixture of everything between dust and 50p-sized lumps. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter or margarine, the dark chocolate and 2-3 golden syrup over a gentle heat stirring constantly until there are no or almost no more lumps of chocolate visible, then remove from the heat. Leave to cool.
- Take the biscuits, mini marshmallows and up to 100g of additional ingredients (dried fruit, nuts, popcorn, honeycomb), if you like, and stir into the chocolate mixture until everything is completely covered.
- Tip the mixture into a lined baking tin, and spread it out to the corners. Chill for at least 2 hours then dust with icing sugar and cut into 12 fingers.