St Peter's 13-18
Makes 8 to 12 biscuits
- Salted butter, softened x 150g
- Soft brown sugar x 100g
- Egg, large x 1
- Plain flour x 250g
- Baking powder x 1tsp
- Ground ginger x 1tbsp
- Vanilla essence x 1 tsp
- Boiled sweets x 1 pack
Preheat oven to 170 Degrees Celsius
- In a bowl cream together the softened butter and sugar until smooth. Add the beaten egg gradually until fully combined.
- Sift in the flour and the baking powder. Add the ginger and vanilla. Bring it all together to create a soft and supple biscuit dough. Wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for approx 15 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry to the thickness of a pound coin. Using a cutter of choice (round, star or Christmas tree) cut out the shape and place the biscuit on a baking tray lined with parchment.
- Cut out a hole in the middle of the biscuit a little larger than the size of the boiled sweet. Drop a boiled sweet into the hole.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes until the biscuit is baked and the sweet has melted.
At this point, if you would like to turn the biscuits into hanging decorations - skewer the top of the biscuit with a straw and once cool thread through a festive ribbon.
Otherwise leave to cool and enjoy!