St Peter's 13-18
Makes 6 large or 12 mini rolls
- Oil x 2tbsp
- Shallot or onion, finely diced x 1
- Smoked bacon, sliced x 5 rashers
- Turkey mince x 350g
- Fresh sage leaves, finely chopped x 6
- Cranberry sauce x 75g
- Salt and pepper
- Puff pastry, rolled out x 1 sheet
- Egg, beaten x 1
- Seeds for top (pumpkin, sunflower, poppy) x sprinkle
Preheat oven to 180 Degrees Celsius
- Gently fry the onion in the oil until it begins to soften add the bacon and fry until it starts to crisp up. Put to one side to cool.
- In a bowl add the turkey mince, sage, cranberry sauce plus cooled shallot and bacon mix. Season with a little salt and pepper. Combine all the ingredients together with clean hands.
TOP TIP: Once combined, wash hands with cold water so that the protein from the meat does not stick to your hands. Once most is removed use warm water and soap to finish hand washing.
- Roll out the sheet of puff pastry. Create a long, thick cylinder shape with the sausage mixture and place lengthways down the pastry leaving an overhang of approx 2cm. Using a pastry brush apply a layer of egg onto the pastry overhang.
- Gently roll the pastry over the sausage mixture ensuring it is completely covered and tucked in.
- Glaze the top of the pastry with egg and using a sharp knife score the pastry in lines down the sausage roll. This will prevent it from puffing up too much whilst baking.
- Cut the sausage roll into desired size pieces and sprinkle each one with a selection of mixed seeds.
- Place onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Place in the preheated oven for approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
Ensure the sausage rolls are piping hot, golden in colour with a crisp dry pastry.
If using a food temp probe ensure it reaches 75 Degree Celsius or above.
Enjoy with a touch more cranberry sauce on the side.