We have developed partnerships with a number of organisations to provide educational opportunities for people of all ages and to make a meaningful contribution to our local community. We play an active role in the City of York.
We are proud to work in partnership with the following organisations. We also support a range of local charities each year, with fundraising events and initiatives regularly organised by the St Peter’s School community.
We regularly host and organise events with partners including York University, York Literature Festival, York Festival of Ideas and the Institute of Physics. Our annual Stargazing Live event in February is one of the highlights of the year.
All partnership events can be browsed in our Events Calendar.
York Independent-State School Partnership
We are proud to be part of the York Independent State School Partnership.
The partnership, involving a number of independent and state sector schools from York, was started in 2007 as a way of providing new opportunities for secondary-school aged children in the city.
By bringing together teachers and pupils from across the city, the partnership also aims to bring together the schools of York for the children of York, harnessing excellent teachers from across the city, sharing good practice and new ideas and in doing so foster new friendships and viewpoints.
St Peter’s involvement includes:
- Hosting and delivering masterclasses with colleagues from across the schools of York. These take place in March of each year in subjects including art, psychology, history and music composition.
- Delivering Latin GCSE classes to pupils, whose own schools do not offer tuition in this subject. The programme has been extremely successful to date, with attendees securing excellet grades in Latin.
- Delivering GCSE Astronomy classes to pupils from across the city
- Participating in summer and autumn residential courses where pupils work on an extended curriculum to stretch their knowledge, thinking and skills.
- Collaborating with teachers from other partnership schools, for example on the teaching of Mathematics.
- Participating in the Summer School, offering lectures on topics pupils will not have covered at school, such as 'myths and machines' and 'how the body works'.
- Hosting and participating in the annual Autumn Breakthrough event for Year 7 pupils, which sees teachers compete for pupil votes as they put forwards arguments as to the biggest breakthrough in humankind's history
York ISSP is supported by the University of York, York Minster, Merchant Adventurers, York Art Gallery and Science City York, all of which have offered facilities and staff to create opportunities for education and experience to the school pupils of the city.
We support a number of local charities through our fundraising campaigns, including York Teaching Hospital Trust, the Salvation Army, HOPING Street Kitchen, York Foodbank and York Mind. Our pupils also visit local care homes, hospices and other charities, volunteering their time to support those in need.
Some of the other local and national charities we’ve supported include:
- The Wilberforce Trust
- Contact the Elderly
- Charity Shops
- The Island
Caring for our Planet
We are working with St Nick’s, collecting 'hard to recycle' waste for processing through Terracycle. St Nick’s use the funds generated to fund their environmental work in York. The Eco Club made their own Terracycle boxes and will be collecting toothbrushes, toothpaste tubes, cosmetic bottles, tubs and tubes, crisp packets, Pringles tubes and plastic pens of all types to send for recycling. You can find collection boxes across the school in houses and staff areas. Please bring in your packages for recycling and support this programme.