St Peter's School
Owing to the restricted nature of the St Peter’s School campus, traffic control and parking are extremely difficult to manage. Since the campus is also shared with pedestrians, strict rules have to be observed for everyone’s safety.
Co-operation with these rules is greatly appreciated.
- All traffic must enter by the front gate in the horseshoe. The Rise gates may not be used for entry to the site.
- Traffic may leave the horseshoe by the horseshoe exit, but any vehicle that travels down past the Chapel has entered the one-way system and must exit the site by the Rise gates.
- So that cars do not have to exit the site before finding a safe place to stop, there is a strict one-way system in place as follows: from the side of the Chapel, turn right along the front (pitch side) of the Queen’s building. If there are no spaces to pull in at the front of Queen’s or on the Rise Car Park, turn right at the Rise roundabout to access the area at the back of Queen’s. To leave the area at the back of Queen’s you should continue forward and rejoin the road at the side of the Chapel, turn right, and exit the site by driving along the front of Queen’s and leaving via the Rise gates.
- Children may be dropped off in one of four zones: in the horseshoe in the left hand lane, in front of Queen’s in the marked bays, in the Rise car park or in the car park behind the Queen’s building. Parents who wish to walk their child to school must park in either of the areas at the Queen’s building or the Rise car park. No vehicles should park in the horseshoe during drop-off.
- The area to the left behind the Chapel is for staff cars only (this is to minimise vehicle movement in a very busy pedestrian area).
- There is no parking for parents during the day unless visiting the school, and vehicles must be removed from the site by 9am.
- There is no parking for Sixth Form pupils on site.
- For a major function or event, parking instructions will be issued.
- For Saturday matches there is parking outside Queen's in the afternoon. For reasons of pupil safety there is no parking at St Peter’s School for mid-week fixtures unless this is a big event when parking instructions will be given.
Please only use marked bays at the drop off area in front of Queens. The dark cobbled areas are crossing points and must be kept clear. Pedestrians will be instructed to use these crossing areas.
We encourage cycling to school where it is safe to do so. Covered racks can be found beside the dining hall on the Scott Block side, next to the Clifton / Grove House lawn, and behind the Queen’s building. Racks without cover can be found behind the Memorial Hall and near the St Olave’s entrance. We are aiming to increase capacity for bike parking as demand grows.
Other points to note:
- Parents and staff are encouraged to use alternative means of transport to School.
- The School campus may not be used for car parking for those working, shopping or visiting the City of York.
- If using the narrow route by the Chapel please use extreme caution.
- The entrance by the kitchens (on the City side of the bridge) is for staff use only.
- The area in front of Queen's will be closed to cars (except Saturday).
On arrival all visitors to the School should report to the School Reception.
Those who are to spend time at the School will be asked to sign in and will be given an identity badge which should be worn throughout their visit. The badge must be returned at the end of the visit and the visitor will be asked to sign out.